Ingredients (or adjust depending on what you like in your meat sauce):
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick strips.
- 1 cup cottage cheese (dry)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until evenly brown. Drain juices. Mix the onion, green bell pepper, carrots, garlic, and tomato sauce into the skillet. Season with oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- In the bottom of the prepared baking dish, layer 1/2 the zucchini strips. In a bowl, beat together the cottage cheese and egg, and spread over the zucchini. Scoop 1/2 the beef mixture over the cottage cheese and egg mixture, and sprinkle with 1/2 the mozzarella cheese. Layer with remaining zucchini, beef mixture, and mozzarella. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow to sit 10 minutes before slicing to serve.
I made this recipe and it tastes great. I think I mucked it up a bit by using regular cottage cheese instead of dry so the whole recipe had a lot of moisture in it so it wasn’t entirely structured, but it still tasted fantastic. Load it up with all of your favorite veggies and spices for the ultimate flavor. Remember to try and use grass fed ground beef when you can!